Saturday, November 7, 2009

Something New

Today's Weight: 206
Goal Weight: 175

After yesterday's blog, I was inspired. So I didn't hesitate for a second:
"Do you wanna go out to eat?" my wife said, "Mom says she wants to babysit."
"Yes, definitely!" This was my chance; I was going to try something new. I'm a man who knows exactly what he wants, and he's not afraid to go get it. By that, I mean I get the same thing wherever I go:

  1. McDonald's = Big Mac Meal, no pickles, no onions. Supersize Coke, no ice. Medium Fry.
  2. Wendy's = Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger Meal, no tomatoes. Medium Coke, no ice. Medium Fry. One extra Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger, no tomatoes.
  3. Chili's = Skillet Queso to start. Bacon Burger, no pickles, no onions, no tomatoes. Coke, no ice
  4. Boston Pizza = Tropical Chicken Pizza, no pineapple. Pepsi, no ice. (they don't sell coke)
  5. Starbucks = Large Iced Coffee with Vanilla flavor. Grande - 6 squirts, Venti - 7 squirts. Room for cream
  6. Anywhere expensive = 6-10 oz Sirloin steak, Medium rare. Coke or Pepsi, no ice.
As you can see, I'm not very creative. Until yesterday, "switching things up" was getting Ginger Ale instead of Coke, or if I was on a health kick, I'd get some water. I'm also as picky as they come. I cannot stand tomatoes; they are the forbidden fruit in my opinion. I don't mind pickles on their own, and onions taste ok, but I don't want to be tasting my Big Mac on Wednesday when I ate it on Monday.
Anyway, we went out to eat somewhere a little bit more classy than usual. Not too expensive, but not any of that glorified fast food stuff. We walked through the door and were immediately confronted with olde man decision making time. Do we go the restaurant side where there are like six people and they all look like they might fall asleep in their soup? Or do we go to the bar side where there's some kinda birthday party going on the middle, the music is blasting, and it's almost full with 2o something year olds to mid-30 something year olds?
November 05, we definitely go to the restaurant side. We sit in our comfy little booth, and I don't even need a menu. I order a Steak, medium rare. When it gets there, I complain that it is over cooked, I explain to Chelsee that I wish they would just give me fries instead of mashed potatoes, and I never even bother to look at the seasonal vegetables.
Today, however, was November 06. "Let's go over here," I said, and Chelsee was all for it. We sat in a booth next to some people who were way louder than they needed to be, but I didn't say a word about them.
"I'm gonna order something new," I said.
"Why don't you climb on the table and start dancing? That'd be new." Chels was joking, but for a split second I thought about it. I imagined myself dancing in circles, kicking our drinks off the table and swinging my sweater over my head. I pictured getting kicked out of the restaurant, and I thought about what a great blog that would make.
I didn't dance on the table. I didn't even swing my sweater. I did, however, open the menu to search for something that wasn't a steak. I eventually decided on Cedar Planked Salmon. It's healthy, non-fattening, and full of omega 3's or whatever. Chelsee was impressed, though I'm sure not as impressed as I was, and when it got there, it was nice. It definitely wasn't a steak, but it was good, none the less. It had this brown sugar sauce on it that was delectable. It came with rice, and a mixture of sweet potatoes and beets.
Like I said, I wouldn't have noticed the vegetables before; I would have let the waiter sweep them away with my dirty napkins. Today, though, I was determined to try them. The sweet potatoes looked yummier than the beets, so I cut one in half, imagined it tasting like a normal, baked potato. (they look similar, give me a break) I put one half in mouth, bit down on it, and then I must have made some kind of face, because Chelsee started laughing, and she looked at me and said, "You look exactly like Derby when I'm trying to feed him squash."
"These are disgusting," I said, and I put my fork down. Enough was enough for tonight.

The night was fun. Afterward, we picked up Derby and went to our friends' for their housewarming party. It was also a lot of fun. So, Day 1 I ate in the noisy bar instead of the old folks home of a restaurant, I ordered something I've never had before, and I liked it, and I went to a party. I feel like the first day has been more than successful (even though I never lost any weight yet.)

Hopefully, I'll see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment